Feb 5, 2014

Danny Brown @ Enmore Theatre

Danny Brown is an excitement machine. The Detroit rapper with the unique voice is a whirlwind live. Basically, pure and utter entertainment. For many years I didn't listen to any hip hop or rap. I was a fan back in the day. The days of Public Enemy and De La Soul and the like. But I had turned away from it for various reasons. More than likely it was the genius of Kanye West who reignited my interest. Danny Brown was the icing on the cake. I had really got into him about a year ago when I stumbled upon his second album in the shape of "XXX". Then in 2013 he released "Old", which has seemingly introduced him to a bigger audience. So it proved when he was added to the Laneway Festival. Last night in Sydney he played his own show at the Enmore Theatre. In fact it was a triple bill. Run the Jewels gave a robust opening and then Earl Sweatshirt impressed with his intricate rhymes and cadences. My favourite Earl numbers were "Pre", "Whoa" and "Hive". But ultimately it was Danny Brown I really came to see.

In the end Brown played an identical set to the one he did at Laneway. But I easily swallowed this up. He is just so much fun live. His DJ SKYWLKR warms us up good and proper before Danny bounces on stage. "Break It (Go)" hits us hard and it never stops. My favourites on the night were "Side B (Dope Song)", "Monopoly" and of course the ever crowd pleasing "Dip". Brown has an amazing delivery and cadence. There really is no one quite like him out there.

Set List
Break It (Go)
Molly Ringwald
Smokin and Drinkin
Express Yourself
Blueberry (Pills and Cocaine)
I Will
Side B (Dope Song)
Witit
Monopoly
Blunt After Blunt
Kush Coma
25 Bucks
Dip

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home