Jan 11, 2014

Best Live Shows Of 2013

If a couple of years ago you had told me that in 2013 I would see Godspeed You! Black Emperor AND Neutral Milk Hotel I would have considered you crazy. Crazy!!!! I never seriously thought I would have the chance. Especially the latter. But I did. And only ten minutes from our home at the Enmore Theatre. So there was never any real doubt which two shows would be my favourites in 2013. Strike that. They would be amongst my favourite shows ever. So that was enough to make 2013 pretty damn special. But there was other delights to enjoy. Laneway Festival was great again. And Vivid has its moments. Sadly Harvest Festival, where Neutral Milk Hotel were pegged to play, was cancelled. Probably destined not to return. And then the year ended on a high with seeing Phosphorescent and Beyonce in New York. Or Brooklyn to be more precise. Live music I still heart you.

1. Neutral Milk Hotel @ Enmore Theatre
This show was quite simply a landmark in my live music going life. Every thing was perfect and plenty of tears were shed as we watched these mythic legends.

2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor @ Enmore Theatre
Speaking of legends. I was in raptures the whole night.
  
3. Woods @ Goodgod Small Club
Perfect songs in a small and intimate setting.

4. Phosphorescent @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
A perfect night out in Brooklyn. And he covered Vampire Weekend!
 
5. Mount Eerie @ York St Anglican Church
Yeah, Phil Elverum in a church.

6. Beach House @ Enmore Theatre
This started the year off in melodic blissful fashion.

7. Wilco @ Sydney Opera House
We have seen them countless times. Not complaining at all.

8. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ Enmore Theatre
Fire and brimstone. Raging rock and roll.

9. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ Sydney Opera House
See above.

10. Bruce Springsteen @ Allphones Arena
3 and a half hours of classic rock and roll.

11. Divine Fits @ Manning Bar
Saw them at Laneway too. Love you Dan and Britt.

12. Animal Collective @ Enmore Theatre
This band is majorly important to me you could say.

13. Vampire Weekend @ Metro Theatre
My first time seeing them. Won't be the last.

14. Frightened Rabbit @ Oxford Art Factory
Such a great band live. Always deliver the goods.

15. Local Natives @ Metro Theatre
Two albums in and totally killing it.
 
16. Sounds Of The South @ Sydney Opera House
Greats of today took us back in time with great results.

17. Father John Misty @ Metro Theatre
Charisma overload.

18. Mikal Cronin @ Goodgod Small Club
God this man can write a song.

19. Deerhunter @ The Hi-Fi
They have greatness stamped all over them.

20. Sharon Van Etten @ Famous Spiegeltent
I think I'm in love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home