May 2, 2010

Wilco @ State Theatre

If you have been to the venerable State Theatre before you would know there are several rules. One is no photography. Which seems reasonable. Another is no standing or dancing. Again, at the right show this also seems pretty fair. But, Wilco are a ROCK band. Maybe singing and dancing is more appropriate. In hindsight we could have danced all night, but I think the audience was frightened too on Saturday night. That is until a furious rendition of "Spiders (Kidsmoke) got people moving. And once one stood, we all stood and there was no going back. But it was still a great show up to then, just different. More subdued, sedated even. Our leader Jeff Tweedy even made note of just how polite we were. So it was a night of greatness in the end. But what else would or could you expect at a Wilco show. It is Wilco after all.

This is my sixth time seeing the great Wilco, but I think I could see them 60 times if I had to. They are just that good. So what did we receive on this night. Well, it was about 2 and a quarter hours of music. I think they could have played a little longer, but I imagine the venue wouldn't have allowed it. They gave us a widespread of material from all of their albums, including five from the latest one. Three of those came at the top of the set, with the ferocious "Bull Black Nova" being a particular standout. Of course "A Shot In The Arm" went down a treat. I don't think we will ever tire of this live staple. On their website I had requested "Radio Cure" and they played it! Hopefully it might have been for me. "Impossible Germany" was another great opportunity for Nels Cline to show off his amazing guitar virtuosity, but it was "Poor Places" that sent the gig into the stratosphere. This trailblazing song segued into "Spiders (Kidsmoke)", which as stated was where the audience came to their feet, with plenty of people making their way to the front of the stage. Now we were truly at a rock show. Soon we were all taking the lead vocal on "Jesus, Etc." and shaking our hips to "Heavy Metal Drummer". "I'm The Man Who Loves You" was the perfect closer, with every one smiling broad and wide. A couple of short encores followed, including the landmark "Misunderstood". We got 34 'nothings'. I know. I counted them all. So, another Wilco experience. Another great night. A band that just gets it right on every single night. Every single night.

Set List
Wilco (the song)
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
One Wing
Bull Black Nova
You Are My Face
Muzzle Of Bees
A Shot In The Arm
Radio Cure
Deeper Down
Handshake Drugs
Passenger Side
Impossible Germany
Via Chicago
Poor Places>Spiders (Kidsmoke)
Hummingbird
Jesus, Etc.
Can't Stand It
You Never Know
Heavy Metal Drummer
Hate It Here
Walken
I'm The Man Who Loves You

Misunderstood

The Late Greats
I'm A Wheel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home