May 3, 2010

Wilco @ The Factory

So, stop me if you have heard this one before. I saw Wilco for the second night in a row last night and it was FANTASTIC! The only way to see this incredible band play an intimate show at The Factory was to buy tickets to their State Theatre show as well. So, despite burning a hole in the pocket, we did so gladly and gleefully. For an opportunity like this doesn't come around very often. That is, to see a band as great and wonderful as Wilco in a small venue like this should always be taken up. Immediately.

To start I have no photos. It would seem that Wilco make it very clear that no photography is allowed at all. They encourage taping, but not photography. I assume it is stop each show becoming a sea of cameras and mobile phones. If that is why, I can see their view. It's 100 per cent about the music, the glorious music. For this was a special night. A night of good humour, much fun and supreme musicianship. It was also not a repeat performance. I think I counted only a repeat of 6 songs from Saturday night's show and we received some songs that are not regularly played. Was it special? Yes it was. For starters we were given "Ashes Of American Flags", a great, great song that featured the first pyrotechnics of the unique Nels Cline. Of course Cline dazzled us on "Impossible Germany", but truly he dazzled us all night long. I was also pleased to hear other cuts from "Wilco (the album)", such as "I'll Fight" and "Country Disappeared". Both were gorgeous to hear live. "At Least That's What You Said" was full of awesomeness as was "Less Than You Think", but special mention goes to "Sunken Treasure". This is my favourite Wilco song and my heart skipped a beat or two when they played this for us. Of course "A Shot In The Arm" was roared with delight and "Jesus, Etc." was again part of a mass singalong. Both truly great moments.

This set also well and truly rocked. Hard. The last twenty minutes or so was ferocious and infinitely fun. Especially "Monday" and the infrequently played "Kicking Television". Special mention here also should go to the multi talented and rockingly cool Pat Sansone. Man, he looks like he was born to be in Rock band. The band departed to overwhelming acclaim and then returned for a short encore, both of which were covers. "Thank You Friends" paid good tribute to the recently departed Alex Chilton and then John and Pat took lead vocals on "In The Street", which I realised later was used as the theme song for "That 70s Show". A great way to end a great night. For this sort of night I think I would have paid double the ticket price. Without doubt. Thank you Wilco!

Set List
Ashes Of American Flags
Bull Black Nova
I'll Fight
Company In My Back
Sonny Feeling
War On War
At Least That's What You Said
Country Disappeared
Handshake Drugs
Impossible Germany
Sunken Treasure
Less Than You Think
Not For The Season
You And I
Box Full Of Letters
Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again)
A Shot In The Arm
Jesus, Etc.
Theologians
I'm The Man Who Loves You
Monday
Forget The Flowers
California Stars (with Liam Finn)
Red-Eyed And Blue>I Got You (At The End Of The Century)
Outtasite (Outta Mind)
Hoodoo Voodoo
Kicking Television

Thank You Friends (Big Star cover)
In The Street (Cheap Trick cover)

2 Comments:

  • At May 03, 2010 , Anonymous Sean said...

    Another great setlist! Looks like it was two fun nights.

     
  • At May 04, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    They were two great shows.

    I think the no camera policy is one more bands should employ.

    Kicking Television was a nice surprise last night.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home