Sep 14, 2008

Seven Song Meme

I didn't know what a Meme was. I do now. Apparently it is any idea or form of behaviour passed on from one person to another. A popular idea doing the rounds now is 'List seven songs you are into now'. I was late to the party and did not realise that Oz had tagged me to perform this very task. I am aware of this now and have put something together.

1. I Lost You-The Walkmen
I can't stop listening to their new album, and with good reason. It's fantastic. I love this song. It's beautifully mournful and expresses heartache and loss with supreme beauty.

2. On Tour With Zykos-Okkervil River
Quite simply, there is not a better songwriter on the planet then Will Sheff in the art of expressing true heart and emotion. Sublime.

3. The News About William-Calexico
Just got my hands on the new Calexico album and this short song is perhaps my favourite. It has a gentle nature and beautiful symmetry. The instrumentation is just gorgeous.

4. You Swan Go On-Mount Eerie with Julie Doiron and Fred Squire
One minute and 33 seconds of a reservoir of starkly realised beauty. Another reminder, to me, that Phil Elverum is some sort of genius.

5. Defenders-Songs:Ohia
On a recent trip to Melbourne I picked up a missing piece of my Molina collection. This song is from "Hecla and Griper". Stick a hot knife in my heart.

6. The Old Days-Dr Dog
The chorus on this song is just pure joy. It makes me smile big watermelon type smiles, makes me want to dance. "Down, down, down...".

7. Slapped Actress-The Hold Steady
Sometimes actresses get slapped and at all times Craig Finn hits home runs. "Don't say we saw angels, they'll take us straight to the church". Please tour!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home