Apr 7, 2007

Fader/Bill Callahan and Stuff

The Fader is a New York based music magazine that publishes 8 issues a year. Covering a wide and diverse range of genres, the latest issue has two artists making a statements musically in 2007. Bill Callahan (cover star) and the breathtaking genius that is Panda Bear. They do excellent podcasts with each issue. You can download the latest one right now.
Fader Issue 45 Podcast.

Bill Callahan's new record "Woke On A Whaleheart" is due out later this month. He has now dropped the Smog moniker and if you happened to catch him live back in January I'm sure you will enjoy his new album. Here is new music to enjoy-
MP3: Sycamore
MP3: Diamond Dancer

I mentioned the other day bands you love but don't get the acclaim you know they deserve. Well what about those bands you overlooked yourself. Sorry, but I am guilty of overlooking The National. A lot of people loved their 2005 release "Alligator" but it didn't do a lot for me. Recently it seems a lot of blogs are raving about "Boxer" their upcoming May release. "Fake Empire" was released for preview and I loved it. So I went back to "Alligator" and something clicked. I am now realising its beauty and majesty, especially the second half of the album. Now bring on May and "Boxer". I know its leaked but I'm going to wait until the CD is released.
MP3: Fake Empire
MP3: All The Wine (from Alligator)
MP3: Abel (from Alligator)
MP3:
Slipping Husband (from Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers)

You might have figured this out by now but I have quite an obsession for all things Wolf Parade, well I meant to link to this a few days ago. Better late then never. You Aint No Picasso is easily one of the best blogs in existence. Recently 3 new Wolf Parade songs were previewed.
Three New Wolf Parade Songs.

4 Comments:

  • At April 08, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i wish i was patient enough to wait for the release, but no I have been enjoying having Boxer on high rotation.

    as for something I overlooked, I'd say Songs: Ohia...or anything Jason Molina really. I've always enjoyed them, but it took a random decision to listen to Songs: Ohia after a long time that really made me obsessed.

     
  • At April 08, 2007 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    I came to Songs:Ohia late in the piece, or Magnolia Electric Co. for that matter. Now I can't get enough enough of it. Jason Molina is quite possibly the most undervalued songwriter going around.

     
  • At April 08, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm with Nikki on this one. It's too long to wait for Boxer! And this has been on extreme high rotation for me too, more so than any other album this year (yes even The Arcade Fire!)

     
  • At April 08, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Glad you're enjoying Alligator, Wayne. It is such a brilliant record. Abel and Mr. November....Secret Meeting...Karen. All GOLD.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home