Feb 19, 2007

All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone-Explosions In The Sky

All of a Sudden I am so unbelievably happy that Explosions In The Sky have a new album. The very fact that this Austin, Texas quartet have delivered their fourth full length is reason enough for myself to be doing cartwheels of delight. Can you tell I love this band? The thing that constantly amazes me about EITS is their incredible ability to convey truckloads of emotion through the seemingly simple use of guitars and drums. When EITS enter the arena most other instrumental bands seem to be swimming in the children's pool.

"All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone" crystalises and defines lucidly sheer moments of power and divine moments of beauty. Ah, moments, moments when you hold your breath and wish they would never end. That's what consistently draws me to the music of EITS. The first time I heard the opening track "The Birth and Death of the Day" it somehow managed to have an other worldly affect on my body. The track begins with the simple churning drone of guitar before it explodes into life. Then it hushes to a near stop before building again with a wave of shimmering guitars. The drums start pounding again, reaching heart stopping noise, then the moment arrives, the song almost grounds to a halt and a single chord is gently caressed and you feel faint at its beauty. And that's just the first song! The second track "Welcome, Ghosts", which I'm sure you have heard by now, clocks in at an economical 5.43. It is a succinct statement of post-rock delight, the key moment being at 3.10 when a gentle strum plays over an incessant rhythm. Suffice to say the rest of the record is full of such moments, if you allow yourself time you will discover them and they will feel like you own them. My other personal highlight is the last track "So Long, Lonesome", perhaps their shortest song ever, which introduces piano. It begins with a tender melody. Tender enough to give you goosebumps. Its only February, but this has to be a contender for album of the year. Please, please tour here!

MP3: Welcome, Ghosts

Two classics from two life changing albums, if you don't own them, but them now, you will not be disappointed-
MP3: Memorial from "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place"
MP3: A Poor Man's Memory from "Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever"

Spunk Records have it on local release or you can check out Temporary Residence for more goodies.

1 Comments:

  • At February 20, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Even though I'm new to EITS and really, pretty new to this type of music, I'm really digging it.

    It's music that carries you along with it, kinda whether you like it or not. I don't miss the words, which to me seems odd, but there you have it. Listening to this album, particularly late in the evening, makes me kinda reflective.

    The last track on the album is right now I think my favourite. The rumbling gives me goosebumps.

    And also, this band have some of the best album names ever :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home