Jan 11, 2007

Port O'Brien

Continuing the theme from my last post, I would like to write about another band that mines that rich vein of authentic, organic sounds with a folk, country feel. Port O'Brien hails from California, initially the solo project of Van Pierszalowski, it bloomed into a full band in 2005, where upon they released their debut album "When the Rain Comes". Now they have an EP, "Nowhere to Run" released in late 2006. It only contains 6 songs but it has quickly found its way inside my heart. The best way I can describe the band's music is like this, it feels like it grew from the ground into the band members, then flowed out of their hearts. If a comparison could be found I would liken them to Akron/Family with a folk twist. As an added bonus the last track on the EP is a cover of Nirvana's "Something in the Way".

Anyway here are a couple of tracks to listen to-
MP3: I Woke Up Today
MP3: Tree Bones

If you go here you can purchase either of their releases or visit their Myspace.
  • Also bassist Caleb Nichols has a project of his own named the Bloody Heads. Their music is quite different, a definite rock sound but worth checking out here.

1 Comments:

  • At January 20, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    this movie was ridiculous. my favorite song was the joy division track when shes falling onto the bed.

    i seriously wanted to stab myself in the face throughout most of it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home