Jan 14, 2007

Frightened Rabbit

There seems to be so much new music now, its extremely hard to sought the good from the bad. Definitely in the good pile is Frightened Rabbit. They haven't garnered much publicity till now, but seem to picking up a higher profile recently and deservedly so. Catbird Seat was where I first heard of them and then just recently Polaroids of Androids gave them a big thumbs up. But I thought I would throw in my two cents worth as I can't get enough of them at the moment. Frightened Rabbit are basically brothers Scott and Grant Hutchison, they hail from Glasgow and "Sing the Greys" is their debut album. Their music is quite simple, but packs a big punch, with their frenetic drumming and catchy guitar. The Scottish accent in the vocals is another reason to fall in love with the songs. Stand out tracks are "Square 9", the longest one by far, "Yawns", a beautiful plaintive song and "Go Go Girls", which would make anyone dance. In the last few years I have found the British music scene lacking for inspiration. Radiohead and Mogwai are icons of the scene and of the new bands I like Bloc Party, but the whole Snow Patrol, Kasabian, Razorlight conveyor belt leaves me cold. Frightened Rabbit, I hope can change that perception, they have a big future I believe.

You can befriend them at their Myspace.
To buy Sing the Greys go to Hits the Fan.
Here are two tracks courtesy of Self Starter Foundation
MP3: The Greys
MP3: Go Go Girls

4 Comments:

  • At January 16, 2007 , Blogger Rachel said...

    Oh I will have to agree, Frightened Rabbit should most certainly be included on good new music list. Great find, thanks for intro.

     
  • At January 17, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Have you seen them live? I saw them supporting Grizzly Bear last year but I wasn't too impressed. Perhaps I didn't give them a fair chance - I was technically at the gig, but in the other room having a beer.

     
  • At January 17, 2007 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    Haven't seen them live, would like the chance. Sometimes young bands need time to grow live.

     
  • At January 17, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home