Dec 30, 2006

Laura, Pivot, The Instant @ Spectrum



Spectrum in Sydney is an excellent venue to see bands, intimate and welcoming it certainly puts out a good vibe. Friday night was therefore an excellent time to catch 3 local bands as 2006 winds down to a close. Melbourne band Laura was the headline act and they were truly superb. They have only recently released their second long player "Radio Swan Is Down" and their set comprised quite a few tracks off that excellent release. Playing as a five-piece, minus cellist Carolyn Gannell, the band created an amazing atmosphere of sonic sounds based on 3 guitars, drums and keyboards. Nearly wholly instrumental each song seemed to build and build before releasing itself. Also the cinematic backdrop just added extra beauty to the music. If you like guitar based music that contains melody and power be sure to check this band out. You can listen to some of their tunes at their My Space page.
MP3: Every Light

Set List
It's Kind Of Like The Innocent Smiles You Get At The Start Of A Relationship
Before You Fuck Everything Up
We Should Keep This Secret
Levodopa
Non Serviam
Every Light
We Are Mapping Your Dreams
Fugitive
I Hope
Is There No Help For The Widow's Son?

To be honest I hadn't heard much Pivot before so I was looking forward to seeing them live based on their excellent reviews they have received. I found I really enjoyed their blend of post-rock, electronica and even jazz influences. Richard Pike is an amazing guitarist, he seemed to get everything that is humanly possible out of a guitar, whilst occasionally switching to keyboards. His brother Lawrence was also a very innovative drummer providing great texture to the sounds produced. I think i need to buy some of their music.
MP3: Make Me Love You

Opening act The Instant also made a good impression with their 3 guitar and drums instrumental sounds. Hailing from Newcastle, I would describe them as having a sound somewhere between Mogwai and By the End of Tonight. Their music was quite forceful but they still managed to sneak in quieter moments as well. I think i need to check them out more as well.
Check out My Space for some tunes.

You can see more photos of the night at Flickr.

2 Comments:

  • At December 30, 2006 , Blogger Osmond said...

    Sounds like it was a good show. Sadly couldn't make it. I'm still yet to see Pivot. Pivot and Mountains In The Sky are two acts I really want to see but I never am able to get to their shows.

     
  • At December 30, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    if it wasn't for the rain, i woulda made my way out to this show.. lawrence is surely THE best drummer in the country. love watching him play..

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home